MFP is intended to become a recreation destination that all Miamians can enjoy, providing 58 acres of public parks and green space, a tech hub, restaurants, shops and soccer fields for the community, as well as the 25,000-seat stadium for Inter Miami.
The stadium design has been created by international sports design firm MANICA, with Miami-based firm Arquitectonica providing the masterplan.
The project will not utilise any city taxpayer dollars as it is 100% privately funded by club ownership. Miami Freedom Park has received support from City of Miami residents, having gained more than 60% voter approval in a November 2018 referendum.
With this vote, the residents indicated that they want the City to negotiate and execute a lease for the proposed land for the project, but the plans have not moved forward significantly since then. In June 2020, developers of Miami Freedom Park submitted a Special Area Plan (SAP) application for the project in what they claimed was an important milestone in bringing it to fruition.
Back in May, Inter Miami yesterday published new imagery of the MFP scheme on its official website as it called on residents to show their support by urging city commissioners to approve the project.
The club made the move following rapid distribution of vaccinations in South Florida and increased demand from its fans. The club said it will continue reinforcing the health and safety protocols currently in place at DRV PNK Stadium, including requiring face masks unless eating or drinking and encouraging social distancing in the concourse areas.
In addition, the club will follow strict cleaning protocols before and after matches, and will provide hand sanitisation stands throughout the stadium. Renamed under a stadium naming rights agreement signed last month, COVID-19 has meant DRV PNK Stadium has not operated at its full 18,000 capacity since Inter Miami opened its debut MLS season in March 2020.
Inter Miami recorded attendances of 7,939 and 8,074 for its first two home matches of 2021 against LA Galaxy on April 18 and Atlanta United on May 9, respectively at the start of the league season following their release of MFP imagery.
“This is an exciting development for Inter Miami, our fans, and partners, who have waited over a year to truly debut our stadium and experience a night of fútbol at full capacity,” said Inter Miami CF managing owner Jorge Mas.
“Our community is taking great steps forward in helping us get back to normal, especially with the rapid distribution of vaccinations, and this coupled with the high demand from our fans gives us the confidence to operate at full capacity.”
The Mayor of Miami Mr Francis Suarez and Mr Mas have now however said that they have a deal that will allow for the City Comission to vote on the project before the end of the month.